Digital Technologies HNC
Looking to get your career in Cyber Security started? This course is for anyone looking to develop their understanding of Digital Technologies, who want to develop specialist technical knowledge, and a broad skillset that will help them to find employment.
What will I do?
Want to make a positive change to the world? You’ve picked the right qualification. We’re on a mission to make the digital world a better place. This Level 4 qualification provides the foundation of your learning by giving a broad introduction to digital technologies and to a range of digital technology specialist functions. The Digital Technologies HNC – Cyber Security is a higher level course, equivalent to the first year of a university degree programme. It concentrates on developing the skills to succeed in industry and prepares you for work in the digital sector. You’ll study units such as Cyber Security, Security, Applied Security in the Cloud, Risk Analysis and Systems Testing. This qualification will be delivered by the exciting South Central Institute of Technology.
During the course of your Higher National Certificate, you’ll develop and strengthen your core skills, while preparing yourself to continue onto a Level 5 Higher National Diploma, or to entering employment. Not only will you have a sound knowledge across a broad range of technical areas, you’ll also leave with the qualities and skills that employers look for. What’s more, we’ll be here to support you at every step, offering a friendly environment that feels (and looks) like a real employer.
You’ll gain a wide range of knowledge tied to practical skills gained through research, independent study, directed study and workplace scenarios, with live project briefs from our employer partners. You will also have the opportunity to develop transferable skills such as communication, teamwork, research and analysis, which are highly valued in higher education and the workplace.Apply Now
Is it for me?
This course is ideal for those looking to scope out a career in Cyber Security, with a passion for digital technologies. There are full time and part time options available to suit your needs.
Not ready to apply yet? Why not give us an email at email@example.com, and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible. We’ll be able to advise on whether the course is right for you and take it from there.
To ensure you are prepared for entering the industry, learners will join BCS The Chartered Institute for IT as a student member and will have the option to complete the following accreditations:
- Microsoft Azure Fundamentals
- Microsoft Data Fundamentals
- Microsoft AI Fundamentals
- Microsoft Power Apps Fundamentals
After studying a Level 4 Higher National Certificate in Digital Technologies you’ll have sound knowledge of the basic concepts of digital technology. You’ll be able to demonstrate a range of subject-specific skills as well as general skills and qualities relevant to digital employers.
Once you’ve completed your HNC, you can progress your learning by moving on to Digital Technologies Higher National Diploma, progress on to study at university or onto employment.
What types of jobs could you expect afterwards?
You could expect roles with titles such as Cyber Security specialist, Risk Analyst, Cyber Security Manager. Don’t feel limited by this list, with the Digital Technologies HNC you’ll be anything ready.
During these jobs you would be responsible for testing consumer, business and enterprise security solutions, reporting and maintaining the test results, and their consistency and accuracy. You would apply coding, mathematical and scientific research skills to the leading edge of security technology.
Cyber security specialists are usually responsible for:
- Granting VPN access to remote workers
- Monitoring for malware
- Diagnosing data vulnerability
- Making recommendations for hardware and software to enhance security
- Regulating use of data, only allowing access of certain files to certain employees
- Designing firewalls
- Running data usage reports
- Training staff on current security issues
- Helping HR train other departments on safely handling data
Did you know?
- The demand for cyber security skills has rocketed by 79.69% 2017-2019 (Tech Nation Jobs and Skills Report 2020)
- UK tech employs 2.93m people, with 40% growth in two years (Tech Nation Jobs and Skills Report 2020)
Digital Technologies HNC learners at the South Central IoT will benefit from:
- Project based learning: You will manage projects from beginning to end, solving employer-generated problems and maximising higher skills.
- Active partnerships with employers: Our previous projects include working with Microsoft. Learners will be given opportunities to complete Microsoft relevant certifications. Our projects are co-delivered with employer partners which means you get trained directly by industry professionals.
- Confidence to learn, forget and relearn – as you would in industry: You will be treated as a unique investor in your working future rather than individuals accessing courses.
- Real research and development: You will undertake detailed research, enquiry, writing and analysis and communicate results effectively.
- Friendly and approachable: The South Central Institute of technology team is welcoming, and will encourage you at every step.
All of our programmes are assessed by assignments or coursework. Projects completed as part of the course are based on live briefs from industry employers, ensuring relevant workplace experience and potential job prospects.
At Level 4 entry, total qualification time is estimated at 1,200 hours per academic year, of which 480 hours are guided learning hours. This equates to approx. 15 hours per week taught (face-to-face and e-learning) and 15+ hours per week independent self-study during term time.
This course can be studied both full-time in one-year and part-time in two-years.
The most important thing for us is passion, dedication and commitment to learning about digital technologies at a higher level. Whatever the qualifications you have, we’ll find away for you to join us and support you at every step.
It all starts with a conversation with our admissions team to find out about your interests and aspirations, and we’ll match you to the right pathway.